Re: How do I prevent DHCP'd interfaces from coming up automatically on boot?

    "Joe" == Joe Emenaker <joe@emenaker.com> writes:

    Joe> Am I missing something here? Is it the prescribed behavior
    Joe> for the "dhcp" directive to imply "auto"?

Not as far as I know. I have a laptop, and not using 'auto' works just
fine.

I would suggest experimenting with '/etc/init.d/networking stop' and
'/etc/init.d/networking start' to test your changes to the interfaces
file. When networking is started it uses the 'ifup -a' command, so
only those networks marked with the 'auto' tag should get
started. ifup uses /etc/networks/ifstate to determine what the network
state is, so perhaps that is where things are going wrong.

The behavior you are seeing is certainly abnormal. Perhaps the
suggestion above will help discover a little more. Sorry for the lame
help....

/Shyamal