Re: GTK+ Apps

"Wathen, Metherion" <mwathen@bsadesign.com> writes:
> What is required to install GTK+ apps on a system?

Strictly speaking, the libgtk1.2 package and its dependencies.  More
loosely, APT.  :-)

> Do you need to have Gnome installed as your desktop?

No.

> Can you just install GTK+?

Yes.  (Well, and also Glib, since that's a dependency.)

> If certain dependencies are needed (i.e. lib... , or lib.so) where do you
> find them?

On the Debian archive, along with everything else.

> If you have .deb pkgs do you just run dpkg <filename.deb> to install
> them?

'dpkg --install filename.deb'; see dpkg(8) or run 'dpkg --help'.

For basic application installation, though, lots and lots of things
are packaged in Debian.  I'd recommend doing the following:

  (1) Install aptitude, if you don't already have it.  Run 'apt-get
      update', then 'apt-get install aptitude'.

  (2) Start aptitude by running 'aptitude'.  Press / to search; you
      can type in "package-name", or "~dsomething" to search for
      "something" in the package descriptions.  \ will repeat the last
      search.  If you find a package you want, press "+" to install
      it.  Pressing "g" twice will then install the things you've
      selected.

	-- Abra Mitchell