Installation problem.

Hello,

This is what I want: install Debian on a Compaq Pentium I. I can connect a
cd-rom drive to it, but I can't make it bootable (compaq: no bios-setup).
The other possibility is to install debian using the internet
(ftp.nl.debian.org) as a source for the packages. In order to do this I
needed two disks, a rescue disk and a root disk. When I boot I get the error
described in the installation guide,
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-rescue-boot.en.html section
5.6.1 The floppydrive doesn't recognise the root disk, and I am flowed with
I/O errors. The rescuedisk is no problem. I created the disk by downloading
them and rawrite them to disk. The site suggests redownloading and retrying,
but I retried 6 times now, without result. I also tried another diskdrive.
(same type). Diskdrives from another type work fine, but I can't connect
them to my computer, since compaq uses the normal IDE cable to connect a
floppy drive to the mainboard. Actually there is a slot for a floppy drive,
but connecting one to it doesn't make sense, it just isn't recognised as the
floppy disk.

Is there a way to solve this? I just want to install Debian, so other
possibilities are appreciated as wel.

thanks in advance

Erik