successful server installation, iptables question

Hi,

i successfuly installed my new debian server instead of the suse 7.2 that
was on it. It was a lot easier to install and i knew what i was doing or at
least i thought i was :-)
I have installed the ipmasq package to share my internet connection.
All works ok. However, how does one customize the settings? For instance
if you want to allow an ssh connection in?

I thought of installing shorewall (conflicts with ipmasq).
I could install this and test, see if my box is secure enough, and if
it's not, i can always install ipmasq again ( a simple
apt-get install ipmasq does it all ).

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.