Re: USB mouse problem

    "raysookhyun" == raysookhyun  <raysookhyun@attbi.com> writes:

    raysookhyun> I'm having a USB mouse problem. When I boot up it
    raysookhyun> looks like all the modules I need are loaded
    raysookhyun> correctly. When up if I unplug and plug in the mouse
    raysookhyun> I get kernel messages telling me that the device is
    raysookhyun> there and that it has an address. When I try to cat
    raysookhyun> /dev/input/mice it returns 'no device'. This is a
    raysookhyun> nforce chipset based mobo. A 2.4 kernel and sarge. It
    raysookhyun> is a Logitech trackball which I have had working on
    raysookhyun> other machines with woody and 2.4 kernels and under
    raysookhyun> win2k (which I had to put on this box to get stupid
    raysookhyun> ATT cable to work) on this machine. Any thoughts on
    raysookhyun> how I might fix this? Thanks very much.

You should have a /dev/input/mice file (unless you are running devfs,
which I know nothing about).

~$ ls -l /dev/input/mice
crw-r--r--    1 root     root      13,  63 Mar 24  2002 /dev/input/mice

If not, create it ('man mknod'). If my memory servers me, this was not
automatically created on potato systems, but Woody does it on install.

Also, it helps to have the hotplug package installed.

If you are running devfs then you need to figure out why the device is
not being created. Hopefully some one more knowledgeable about devfs
will help you with this.

Cheers!
Shyamal