Re: upgrade kernel from 2.2 to 2.4

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 12:29:02PM +0330, Arash Bijanzadeh wrote:
> I got to upgrade my kernel from 2.2 to 2.4
> It is ok but because 2.4 using initrd.img so there is some problems init
> proccess. I tgives some errors about ReadOnly file system and also couldn't
> find mtab.
> Anybody have information about this matter?

i just did that on my server at work -- when you do the install,
lots of text flies by and of course some of it is important.

	TIP: you can scroll up and down your console buffer [and
	xterm or rxvt windows] using shift-pageUp and
	shift-pageDown.

there's a line you need in your /etc/lilo.conf inside the
"image=/vmlinuz" section:

	initrd=/initrd.img

my whole stanza now looks like this -- pretty plain vanilla:

	image=/vmlinuz
		label=Linux
		read-only
		initrd=/initrd.img
	#	restricted
	#	alias=1

of course, the install process should also make sure that the
file /initrd.img exists -- here's mine:

	# ls -l /initrd.img
	lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root   initrd.img -> /boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-k6

the file it's linked to will depend on your architecture -- mine
is an AMD K6.

and whenever you munge lilo.conf, be sure to run lilo
afterwards, which reads the config file and actually writes the
boot info to your disk.

of course, there may be other gremlins loose in your situation,
but this is something easy to try.

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 2.2;
Linux server 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #42 from Pietro Cagnoni <pcagnoni@mclink.net>
and Kent <ktb@nixnotes.org>
:
Would you like to DISABLE CONTROL-ALT-DEL? Piece of cake.
Just comment the line out in /etc/inittab
	# What to do when CTRL-ALT-DEL is pressed.
	ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now
and then "kill -HUP 1" to have init re-read the file.