Re: Semi-frozen X

on Mon, Oct 14, 2002, Rob Weir (rweir@softhome.net) wrote:
> Hi all
> I'm running X 4.2.1-0pre1v1 with the Free NVidia driver, a normal PS/2
> keyboard, and a Logitech USB scroll mouse.  Every now and then, X goes
> weird and drops me down to the virtual consoles.  At first I thought X
> had just crashed, but I switched back to vt7 and X alive and well,
> mostly.  The mouse cursor is locked as `I'-bar text cursor, and mouse
> clicks have no effect.  The keyboard is completely unresponsive as well.
>
> Has anyone had this problem before and found a solution, aside from
> kill'ing X?

Not quite exactly matching your situation, but some suggestions:

  - Is it X11 or the window manager that's hung?  In my case, I can
    restart a frozen WindowMaker session by sending it a SIGUSR1.  My
    windows and workspaces shuffle around, but I don't lose application
    state.

  - Have you checked ~/.xsession, ~/.xsession-errors, or
    /var/log/XFree86.0.log (or other display as appropriate) for error
    messages?  Do this *before* starting a new session.

Peace.

   Keep software free.         Oppose the CBDTPA.         Kill S.2048 dead.
     http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html