Re: DWL-650 Wireless PCMCIA Card

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 10:38:28AM -0500, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 11:54:09PM -0400, James Hughes wrote:
>
> > I have PCIC=i82365, which, again, works. Can you explain why
> > yenta_socket is the better option?
>
> Based on your previously supplied output, it doesn't appear to be
> working. I say this because the ds.o module fails to load claiming that
> that is no socket driver loaded.  If the i82365.o module was working for
> you, I would no expect ds.o to fail to load.

Sorry, I don't think I'm explaining this situation very well. Here is
output from lsmod, immediately after logging in (before I run my hack
script that gets the wireless card working):

prism2_cs              57008   1
pcnet_cs               12704   1
8390                    6384   0 [pcnet_cs]
ds                      6632   2 [prism2_cs pcnet_cs]
i82365                 22652   2
pcmcia_core            41632   0 [prism2_cs pcnet_cs ds i82365]
p80211                 12312   1 [prism2_cs]

As you can see, all the elements are there for things to work:
prism2_cs, ds, etc.. The problem, I *think*, is that ifup is
attempting to associate the wlan0 device with the ds driver, when it
should be using prism2_cs (as can be seen from boot messages posted
previously) . I have these lines in /etc/modules.conf:

# Aliases to tell insmod/modprobe which module to use when bringing up the
# wlan0 interface.
alias wlan0 prism2_cs

So, why is ifup so confused?

James