Re: subversion equivalent of 'cvs update -C'

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 11:58:51PM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
> Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:
> > I wouldn't be so quick to discount subversion. :) I keep much of my
> > home directory in it, and it's behaving very nicely.
>
> Me too.  It seems to be working well so far.  If nothing else, at least
> it beats having all those annoying CVS directories lying around...

What are you doing about partitioning public and private dotfiles? I'd
like to be able to check out public parts of my home directory (e.g.
.bashrc) onto any machine where I have an account, but private parts
(e.g. .fetchmailrc) only onto machines where I'm also root. So far I
haven't come up with a good way to do this, especially because symlinks
and Unix permissions aren't versioned yet.

The best I've come up with is a .hide directory for private things and a
(partially written) 'svnfix' script that sorts out symlinks and
permissions after each checkout based on some properties I set.