Re: Routing doesn't start automatically

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 11:45:00AM -1000, Joseph Dane wrote:
> Bob Nielsen <nielsen@oz.net> writes:
>
> > I'm not that well versed on calculating netmasks and broadcast address,
> > but these look a bit strange. You might try the standard settings:
>
> a netmask of 255.255.255.0 could only be consider "standard" in a LAN
> environment.  the mask in the original message (255.255.255.252) is
> typical of a DSL environment.  it allows 4 addresses on the local
> network: the user's computer, the router, the broadcast address, and a
> "network address" (which is never actually used, AFAIK).

Since he is using private network addresses, it shouldn't matter if a
/24 netmask is used.  With an ISP-assigned block of addresses, it is a
different matter, of course.  In any case, the netmask shown does not
include the gateway which was defined, which is why he had to define it
separately.  The network and broadcast addresses aren't really required
in the interfaces file (the network address IS required for 2.0.x
kernels, according to the interfaces man page.)

> I just checked on my machine.  I've got a file called
> "/etc/init.d/network" which brings up the interfaces and updates the
> route tables.  it says:
>
> # In new Debian installations, this file is deprecated in favour of
> # the ifup/ifdown commands (invoked from /etc/init.d/networking), which
> # can be configured from the file /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> so I guess I'm using an out-of-date method.

As I recall this changed in woody, possibly before (I started running
woody right after slink was released and don't recall exactly when it
changed, but it has been a while.) The old method should still work.

Bob