Xfree86 problems

Hi,

Last week I installed Debian on the spare [SCSI] hard drive in my Dell Precision 610.  I had some network troubles, which folks on this list kindly helped me with, but X11 kept bombing.  It would try to run, maybe three times, then ask me if I wanted to view the output of the error log.

Later, a co-worker convinced me to try SuSE, which I didn't really care for.  I was able to get X11 up and running, but couldn't configure the resolution up to what my monitor is capable of (1152 x 864), and I just didn't get a great feeling about it.  So this morning I reinstalled Debian (this time with no network problems because I already knew what to do).

Having had some headache with setting up X11 in the previous Debian install, and trying to configure the SuSE X11 installation, I had more information that was required about my display.  So I was able to enter it into the installation program (debconf?).  Unfortunately, using "startx" didn't work -- I was told that the "screen" couldn't be found.  So I ran "xf86config" to create /home/eprice/XF86Config, which I then copied to /etc/X11/XF86Config (as root).  Certainly this has to have all the information that X11 needs, I thought, after having entered information about the monitor and the mouse etc.

I seem to have gotten a similar error.  I have also checked the error log (forget the name but it was something like /var/log/xfree86_error.output or something similar), but the information in that log is very dense and looks like it was designed to be parsed by scripts and not humans. :)  So I thought I would write to the mailing list, but I can't attach the log because Windows can't see the ext2 file system!  (Likewise I can't copy the file into the Windows disk because it's Windows 2000 and every time I mount it, I am told that it can only be mounted read-only.)

So I'm stumped -- I am having X problems, and can't think of a way to even post the error log.  Any ideas?

Thank you,

Erik