Re: OT: DNS servers

On Sunday 13 October 2002 01:31 pm, Mark Carroll wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> > On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 the mental interface of
> >
> > Mark Carroll told:
> > >
> > > I do exactly that, then all my nameserver config is done in /etc/bind/
> > > Seems to work okay.
> >
> > On a single computer you don't need bind! You will have the same
> > problem, because your "single" bind has to forward to an outside DNS
> > ;-) So follow the advices of Martin.
>
> Sorry, I was taking the above question as a separate question, not
> necessarily relating to the original context. I do specify some of my
> ISP's DNS as forwarders to bind, and I use bind because my machine's the
> server that looks after the names for the machines on our internal
> network, so it's the authoritative server there for a private thing that
> isn't in the "world's" domain name system.

in the event that you've got better than dsl as a hookup, that's not a good
idea even when your isp is a major local pipeline. just use them as a conduit
and set up your own primary and secondary dns servers for the internal
network. that way, you get to control update intervals and you have less to
worry about anything going wrong on the isp's dns config. given that you'll
only have to suffer the tedium of the intitial config (hopefully) once, if
the physics exist to enhance your independence, exploit that.

ben

ben