Re: problem setting up modem after move to PCI motherboard

David Ballantyne wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've recently upgraded my home system from a PII333 to an Athlon 1900+, so
> this of course required a new motherboard. I got an ASUS A7V333 PCI board.
> I had to replace my old USR Robotoics ISA modem with a PCI modem. I was
> given an AOpen K56-PM (this seems to be a winmodem, but that's another
> story). Before the upgrade I was running woody with 2.4.18, and the modem
> was on ttyS3. I have not changed the software, as the hard drives were not
> part of the upgrade.
>
> After getting my new system I updated the kernel (still 2.4.18) to reflect
> the new hardware, and after reboots I was getting this message in the
> boot messages: 'ttyS3: LSR safety check engaged!' Needless to say, I
> couldn't access my new modem.
>
> A google search on this message shows that is a common problem, but I was
> unable to find a straight solution to it. I did find out that the first
> serial port in a PCI board is ttyS4 and then apparently you can't use
> setserial on PCI modems.
>
> To cut a long story slightly shorterr. I've found out this much:
>
> a) The BIOS is *not* using OS-PnP. So that should be fine.
> b) The BIOS is assigning IRQ 10 to the modem, the on-board sound
> controller (which works) & one of the USB ports
> c) the extended serial options are compiled into the kernel
> d) Removing the ttyS3 statement from /etc/serial.conf removes the 'ttyS3:
> LSR safety check engaged!' problem
> e) adding a ttyS4 statement to /etc/serial.conf (after creating the device
> with MAKEDEV) results in a 'ttyS4: LSR safety check engaged!' on bootup

Have you got another serial card with two serial ports? If not, i think
you should have only S0 and S1:

/dev/ttyS0 uart 16550A port 0x03f8 irq4 baud_base 115200 spd_normal skip_test
/dev/ttyS1 uart 16550A port 0x02f8 irq4 baud_base 115200 spd_normal skip_test

You'll probably need an external modem to work instead of a pci winmodem.