Re: X hanging the whole system at startup

Jaye,

  thanks that does work. I am in control again. Still when the machine
starts up it just completly hangs the system. Not even caps lock does
work anymore.

  The login screen graphical appears and but doesn't accept any input.
Here are the lines displayed in the lower right corner. The last line is
truncated:

  Quoted by hand ...

  Oct 13 22:16:36 vidal kernel: calibrating APIC timer ...
  Oct 13 22:16:36 vidal kernel: ..... CPU clock speed is 1002.3179 MHz.
  Oct 13 22:16:36 vidal kernel: ..... host bus clock speed is 200.4636
MHz.
  Oct 13 22:16:36 vidal kernel: cpu: 0, clocks: 2004636, slice: 1002304

  case a)
  Oct 13 22:16:36 vidal

  case b) (very rare)
Sometimes the last line looks like this
  Oct 13 22:16:36 vidal Oct 13 22:17:12 vidal PAM_unix[242]: (cron)
session clo (Rest of line cannot be seen)

  I think emphasis should be on case a). Where to look next?

Mariano