Re: Windowmanager problem

On Sat, 2002-10-12 at 05:28, Martin Batermann wrote:
> Hi
>
> This is my first post to a Debian list, so if I do anything
> glaringly wrong, (a) please have patience with me and (b)
> point me in the right direction.
>
> I've just installed Debian on my pc (bf24 flavour).  When I
> boot, everything goes well and the graphical login is
> displayed.  If I choose Enlightenment, it logs on perfectly
> successfully.  However, when I try to logon to KDE or
> Gnome, things go somewhat pearshaped.  KDE starts loading,
> but when it gets to "initialising peripherals", it just
> clams up and I have to resort to the reset button.  With
> Gnome the same happens when it gets to the point where it
> displays "Panel" or something like that.
>
> Any help with this and/or a pointer in the right direction
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Just for the record, I am still a fairly complete N00B when
> it comes to Linux...
>
> Cheers
> MB

Before you hit the reset button, try <Ctrl>-<ALT>-<Backspace>, which
will send a SIGKILL to the X session and should dump you back to the
graphical login.

Beyond that, which edition of Gnome are you trying to run? I get this
with Gnome 2, and am still trying to sort out the details. With KDE,
that problem has occurred for me (it has stopped flashing when you
reset, or it has been flashing for a while?) I ended up deleting the
~/.kde directory tree, but that was a brute force solution. It did work,
though.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org