Re: Toshiba 2405-S201 cannot configure xserver card S3 SuperSavage/IXC1179

Andres Toussaint, 2002-Oct-10 12:17 -0500:
> I have installed Woody into my Toshiba 2405-S201 laptop and want to
> start xserver-xfree86 but when i give STARTX i receive the error:
>
> Fatal Server Error:
> no screens found
>
> I first tried configuring (using dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86)
> with the following chipsets with the same result: S3Virge, savage
>
> The video card that i have is: S3 SuperSavage/IXC 1179 with 16Mb RAM
>
> Second, i tried (following some advice in this user lists) replacing
> the savage_drv.so from the distribution with the one provided at:
> http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html without success. The same
> error.
>
> If any one has any clue on how to start this video chipset, please advice.

You could try this:

apt-get install discover
apt-get install mdetect

XFree86 -configure

This will build a XF86Config file based on the autodetection of
hardware.  It works nicely.  You may have trouble with the mouse
detection, so if you have problems check that part of the config file
that's generated.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer