Re: unable to open X window on machine

On  0, David Cureton <david.cureton@catapult.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> 	Firstly I must confess, I have not spent much time trying to sort this o
> ne
> out. However, I have the latest stable Debian installed in my machine running
> KDE desktop.  However I find that I am unable to cause other machines on the
> network to open an X window on my machine by setting the DISPLAY variable on
> the other remote machine before invoking xeyes, xclock or any other X
> application.
>
> What I have done/tried:
>
> 1) Have run 'xhost + ' on X server to disable access control.
>
> 2) Can ssh to/from X server machine, network connectivity OK
>
> 3) Checked the iptables rules.  (Default policy on all is ACCEPT. no other
> rules except the defaults)
>
> 4) route output looks ok with only two entries. The local network entry and
> the default route entry which appear ok. (step 2 confirms this)
>
> 5) if DISPLAY is set to the machines own IP address 192.168.150.150:0.0,
> calling an X application fails due to 'Error: Can't open display:
> 192.168.150.150:0.'. X applications only work when display is set to :0.0 on
> the local machine.
>
> Is there some other type of access control I  am overlooking??

Not really.  The default is to have '-nolisten tcp' in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc (I think this is where it is - I
changed it long ago).  If you use a display manager then that probably
is also set to use '-nolisten tcp' by default - I think that is done
in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers.  Remove the '-nolisten tcp' from these
locations, use xhost to allow connections from the other machines, and
you should be fine.

Tom
--
Tom Cook

"Beware of computer programmers that carry screwdrivers."
	- Leonard Brandwein

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au