Re: X with NVidia: "(EE) No devices detected"

It turns out that I had the wrong version of the kernel
module (NVdriver) and NVidia GLX module.  The version I had was 1.0-1541
but I needed 1.0-3023.  I still don't know why it worked the first time...

Earlier, I didn't believe the GLX message that only mentioned boards up to GeForce3, but not GeForce4 Ti 4600. I thought that of course they wouldn't distribute old drivers that don't work with their new cards. It was only when I played with the source code to the NVdriver kernel module, after getting a message about not recognizing PCI address 0x0250
from "rmmod NVdriver; insmod NVdriver", that I understood the need for an
up-to-date driver.
Thanks to you and Jeff for your help.

Issac

David Grant wrote:

Isaac,

I had this exact same problem that you are having yesterday. It works when you install from the tarballs the first time, but after rebooting, it doesn't work anymore.

Just make sure that NVdriver is in the /lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/kernel/drivers/video directory, and make sure that NVdrier is there, and make sure that NVdriver is listed in your /etc/modules file.

Now as long as you did the

tar zxvf NVIDIA_kernel....
cd NVIDIA_kernel...
make install
cd ..
tar zxvf NVIDIA_GLX...
cd NVIDIA_GLX...
make install
cd ..
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

On the dpkg-reconfigure step, make sure to de-select the dri and GLcore drivers, and make sure glx is selected. Also, when asked if you want the dri section created for you, select "NO"! Also, just make sure you say "NO" when asked about a framebuffer. And don't forget to select "nvidia" as your driver, instead of "nv".

Then check /lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/kernel/drivers/video directory, and make sure that NVdriver is listed in your /etc/modules file.

Having NVdriver in your /etc/modules file is basically just tells debian to run "insmod NVdriver" on boot. So if you want, just try typing insmod NVdriver right now, and see if that fixes things.

Let me know if that doesn't work.