Re: dial-in server

A few words about modems:

First, the Winmodem term is actually copyrighted and trademarked by
3com/USRobotics.   They at least are honest about labeling their modems as
such.    Other makers label them as, Host-based modems, Controllerless
Modems, the most notorious for issues, the chips for them are manufactured
by PCTel, and sold under the name HSP (host signal processor) modems.  These
should be avoided at all costs.   Even zoom manufacturers some.

1 - External modems are almost always hardware modems, the few exceptions
use the USB interface.
2 - If a Modem states it supports DOS it is probably a hardware modem.
However, some "winmodem" makers have caught on to this little trick and will
says, "Supports DOS within the Windows environment", ie it is a winmodem.
3 - Most internal modem makers make both "soft"/winmodems and hardware
modems.  Generally speaking anything under $45 is a soft modem, anything
45-60 could be a softmodem, and anything over $60 is a hardware modem.
4 - There are 4 "parts" to a modem, I forget exactly what they are, and a
hardware modem has a chip or chips that peform all 4 functions, software
modems have at least 1 function fulfilled by software.  The "partial" soft
modems are often the cause of the biggest headaches for people setting them
up under Linux.  They will often do things like dial, but not handshake.
5 - There are some "drivers" available for softmodems under Linux, but I
have not got them to work as reliable as a hardware modem in any instance I
have tried.

Hope that helps.