Re: repairing a ntfs partition

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 09:01:44PM +0800, Tim Wood wrote:
> Just a word of caution here.
> I had a similar problem with W2k and the repair went OK but as it
> completed w2k suggested I run "checkdsk /f".  This corrupted my kernel
> image and made the ntfs partition I had on a logical drive in the
> extended partition unreadable.
> The blunders I made from  there meant I had to reinstall both OS. That's
> another story though :)
>
> Tim

If all that was destroyed on your Linux system was the kernel image, you
could've gotten away without reinstalling Linux. The solution would be
to use some sort of a Linux boot disk, mount the partition with /boot,
copy over the kernel image, setup up the /vmlinuz symlink, chroot the
mounted partition, and run LILO. Of course, if you are using Grub you
can stop after setting up the symlink.

As for Windows... well, that's a whole another issue :-}.

-Andy