init.d script error reporting (or lack thereof)

Hi List,

Just a quick question:

I really enjoy using the scripts in /etc/init.d for starting, stopping
and restarting services because it makes me feel like I'm safe doing it
the Debian way.  I have one gripe however --- when they don't work, they
don't tell you.  I have seen very few /etc/init.d scripts that give
useful error messages, most seem to exit with no error when they have a
problem, which means you have to carefully read through the scripts
yourself to find where it's dying.  Is there a reason for this?  I have
the same problem with scripts in /etc/cron.daily and friends, if they
don't work, it can be really hard to figure out why because no error
messages are mailed and there's no /var/log/cron.log as mentioned in the
README.Debian file.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a good reason for this, I'd just like
to know what it is.  Can someone enlighten me?

Regards,

Lucas