Re: need advice on building packages from source

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 06:33:50PM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
| This one time, at band camp, Geoff Crompton said:
| >
| >   'scuse my ignorance. How do you configure UDMA 100 (or the other
| >   modes)?
| >
| >   Geoff Crompton
| It's all in the kernel .config:
| CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
| CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
| CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
| CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ADMA=y
| CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y

...and then use a bootup script to execute hdparm? At least I found that
necessary.

You can use
$ hdparm -tT /dev/hda

to test the speed of your hard drive. Before using the bootup script, I
was getting a throughput of about 5 MB/sec for buffered disk reads.
Now's it up to 28 MB/sec, and I can feel the difference :-}.

-Andy