Re: Pentium 90 64 Mo in home network - what to do with it?

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 03:34, Jerome Lacoste (Frisurf) wrote:
> If he uses the new machine as file/web server, the small hard disk
> capacity will limit it. He can limit its use for NAT/forewall etc.. and
> use his current server as file/web server. But then he needs to have
> both machines on all the time.
>
> We are trying to find a use for this machine.
> I had two ideas:
> - backup/replicate of the server (in case)
> - honey pot but I don't think he will be interested in it.
>
> Any other idea?

I have an old P133 that functions as my web and mail server. I've also
been meaning to switch the NAT routing over to it along with DHCP and
DNS responsibilities but I haven't gotten around to it yet. 3 GB of disk
space should be plenty enough room for a web server unless your friend
wants to host 3 of the biggest porn sites in the world or something. :)

The other option is, if the file serving function would just be for the
local network, have the 90 set up as a file server but with an NFS
connection to the other computer. I have my 133 set up as my only
externally accessible FTP and SSH server, but I can use it to get
information from any of the other computers on my network.

Hope that helps. :)

-Alex