cyrus-imap with sasl

I am trying to setup a IMAP server using Cyrus and Debian/Testing and it appears the version of cyrus is 1.5 that is currently in testing and unstable and stable. Which I think does not support SASL. I belive I have to have at least 1.6.4 for that. Is there a reason why the version we have in Debian is four years old? I know there was a problem with 1.6.4 that required you to open up the /etc/passwd file to be world readable, I am assuming this is why it has not made it to Debian. So are my only options at this point to self compile or use the very old version? I see unstable has Cyrus2 but that requires a whole system upgrade from testing to unstable, I am running several other servers I don't which to break so I don't want to upgrade to unstable as of yet.