RE: Why do I need to be a %^#$# programmer to use Linux?

deFreese, Barry said:
> Stinkpads are notoriously bad for their PCMCIA implementations.  I had a
> similar instance at a customer site where a card working in one Dell
> laptop would not work in an IBM Stinkpad no matter what.  Not every
> problem is an M$ one, even though we would all like to blame them.

yeah well my point is, on the same hardware(we have many thinkpad 600s)
that NIC works fine under linux. I'm sure it would work fine under
win2k too provided the #%@$! OS didn't have this "I'm smarter then
you so I won't let you do what your asking no matter how right you
think you are". The driver is there, the card works, the laptop works,
but the OS(and this is MS's fault) refuses to trust me in installing
and loading a driver. Linux is the opposite, for the most part it
plays dumb and you tell it what to do, it obeys even if it means
crashing or erasing the disk(e.g. boot to single user mode and
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/YOURDISK and it will happily erase it's
own disk because it believes you know what your doing). If MS Win32
even had an "expert" OPTION in their OS to allow this(it doesn't
have to be default, doesn't have to be easy to find, doesn't have
to be documented) then well ..

one thing I forgot to mention is that it let me load another Xircom
driver for a totally different card, it DID complain that this
driver may not work, but it DID allow me to load it(and it didn't
work), whereas the official drivers it flat out refused to let me
to even try to load it.

nate