Simple bandwidth limiting examples?

Hi all.

debian.uchicago.edu has angered the local network admins by being too
much of a bandwidth hog, and it's time to throttle it.  I'm reading up
on tc(8) and friends, but this tool is a lot more powerful and flexible
than I need it to be, and so are all the examples I can find (for
example see http://defiant.coinet.com/iproute2/Linux-ANO/node48.html).

I don't really have time to become an expert in traffic shaping.  I've
been given a limit for this machine from the networking guys, and I just
want to slap on one rule that says, in effect, "don't send more than N
packets per second[0] off campus" while leaving on-campus traffic
unrestricted.  I suspect that I'll end up using one or two very simple
tc commands, but right now it looks like I'll have to read a lot and
experiment for days before I figure out what they are.

[0] the limit from networking is actually expressed per month, but I
figure I'll have to write the rule in terms of seconds, for whatever
that's worth.

Can anyone recommend a site that covers traffic control from a more
down-to-earth perspective?  Or is anyone running a server that limits
its own bandwidth, and willing to share your configs for comparison?

Thanks,
-mrj
--
# Michael Jinks, IB # JFI/MRSEC/EFI Computing # University of Chicago #
      Reader!  Think not that