Re: Why mailing-lists? Usenet have been invented, I hear. ;-)

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 11:47:38AM +1000, David Pastern wrote:
> You guys are goddamn rude.  If this is linux helpfulness at it's best god
> help linux and open source.  To quote three dead trolls in a baggie' every
> os sucks.mp3:

Yep, some are, some are not. I don't want to get philosophical and
stuff so let me give an anecdote as well ;)

This week a big software company released an update to their main
os-product. This update is called SP1 and weighs in at 133mb. After
downloading said update, it refused to install. My key is not valid.

Did you know how much goddamn trouble I had to install the software
in the first place. I mean finding someone with a copy of the
software that allowed being installed was a big pain. Since the
cdrom was not sealed, had a hologram, or was blessed in another way,
it wasn't bootable. Man, the lenghts I had to go to make a bootable
iso that included the contents of the first disc...

Anyway, I am basically stuck. I could ofcourse spend a lot of money
on new hardware + software and hope things work then. They'd better,
because although being entitled to support I am sure nobody would
(or could) help.

Seriously, anyone making general statements on anything, just based
on personal experience are most likely not very interesting. When my
printer doesn't work in Linux (it doesn't at the moment), I'd rather
post to sucks.me_do than bash world + dog.

Bob