Re: cups -newbie

On Monday 09 September 2002 10:16 am, Setyo Nugroho wrote:
> Hallo Rafael,
> "echo "hello, world" | lpr -Pcanon1" produces nothing.
>
> further details:
> cups is active.
>
> The flwg is conf of canon1 from http://localhost:631/printers/
>  Location: localhost
>  Printer State: idle, accepting jobs.
> "Ready to print."
> Device URI: usb:/dev/usb/lp0
>
> but test print doesn't work at all.
>

> Then flwg checks:
>
> 1. lpinfo -v
> lpinfo: cups-get-devices failed: server-error-service-unavailable
>
> 2. # lpadmin -p canon1 -E -v parallel:/dev/usb/lp0 -m bjc-s450.ppd
> lpadmin: add-printer failed: server-error-service-unavailable
>
> Could you help me please..
>
> Setyo
>
> On Mon, 2002-09-09 at 18:04, Rafael Gomes Sasaki wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 05:19:07PM +0200, Setyo Nugroho wrote:
> > > the flwg were also tested:
> > > 1. "# echo "hello, world" > /dev/lp0" produced no answer.
> > > 2. "echo "hello, world" > /dev/lp1", produced "bash: /dev/lp1: No such
> > > device or address"
> >
> > Try  echo "hello, world" | lpr -P<name-of-printer>
> >
> > HTH,
> >   Rafael Sasaki

    Greetings Rafael:

I was just testing different cups drivers for my HP 560c printer.  I have a
desktop and a laptop.  My desktop driver was S L O W to print.  When I set up
my laptop, I picked another driver for this and was amazed at how fast it
was.  I decided I would try some of the other drivers that I had available on
the desktop.  At least one of those drivers would produce no output at all to
the printer.  The print job was not sitting in queue and was reported
completed.

That *may* be the problem with your setup ..  If there are other
drivers (maybe more generic?) then try one and see if it works.

gl

tatah
- --

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls\/A GNU-Debian linux user\/ http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.
Free software, in a free world, for a free spirit. Please Support freedom!