Re: CD ripping & burning speed...

Rob Weir [debian-user] <09/09/02 00:26 +1000>:
> On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 04:11:12PM +0000, Vittorio wrote:
> > A part of them say "the lower the ripping and burning speed the
> > better" so for both speeds they recommend not to go faster than 4x.
> >
> > Others say that ripping speed is critical, so the 4x limit should
> > apply to this phase only.
> >
> > Finally, the remaing experts say that nowadays there are no
> > limitations of any kind on speed.
> > P.S. With the above-mentioned software is it possible to overburn a CD?
>
> It sounds like these people are used to crappy, crappy windows software
> for DAE.  cdparanoia tries very, very hard to get a clean rip...I've set
> it loose on a CD that was so scratched that it wouldn't play in any CD
> player I could find, but cdparanoia managed to rip it without a single
> pop or blip or skip.  It did take a few hours tho...Basically, rip speed
> is irrelavent to the user, except inasmuch as it takes up your time;
> cdparanoia will take care of it, and, if you give it the '-z' option,
> will not rest until it's satisfied there were no errors.
>
> It's probably the same thing with burning; a correct burn is a correct
> burn is a correct burn.  One thing that does matter tho is, as a bunch
> of other people have said, is the media.  Find the type that works for
> you and stick with it, I guess.
>
> If you want to be really sure it's all working, you can easily test it:
> rip a cd, burn it, keep the original wavs, rip the copy, run md5sum on
> each wav.  Of course, you might get md5 mismatches due to the rip
> starting at different locations on the disc or something...Hmmm...sounds
> like an experiment for next weekend.
>

> > P.S. With the above-mentioned software is it possible to overburn a CD?
>
> I'm not quite sure what over burn means...Does it mean 'burn more data
> than the CD nominally handle'?  If so, then I'm fairly sure you can,
> since cdrecord will let you burn a CD with the data coming from a pipe;
> it's got no way of guessing how much data it will get fed, until it
> receives it.
>
> As an aside, here's my method for copying CD's:
> 1) Make a new directory and run 'cdparanoia -Bvz' (Batch, verbose,
>    'z'=don't ever skip).
> 2) When that's done, run 'find -type f -name '*.wav'|wav2toc.pl' (where
>    wav2toc.pl is the attached Perl script.
> 3) Follow the instruction, and burn away.
>
> Works great for me, and I've never managed to get a dud from it (even
> while recompiling a kernel!).  Of course, you could write just a little
> more script and come up with something that just works thusly:
>
> 'Insert source disk'
> (rip,rip,rip)
> 'Insert blank'
> (burn,burn,burn)
> 'Done'
>
> but I'm lazy and couldn't be bothered.  Hope this is useful to someone.
>
> -rob

Useful indeed! Thanks to Rob & all the others for your detailed
explanation (by the way, you've guessed it: with 'overburning' I meant
'to burn more data that the CD can "officially" handle').

I'm struck by the fact that the media is so relevant as far as burning
is involved.

Ciao & thanks again

Vittorio