Re: Problem with sound card.........help?

Matthew Claridge <matt.claridge@ntlworld.com> [2002-09-01 00:47:00 +0100]:
> This is my first day using Debian and I've got everything installed and
> working and I've even found a load of the configuration stuff, but the
> one thing I can't fix is my soundcard. This is my system:

I just posted a [1]note about this.  And then another [2]followup with
details about the Live!

1. http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200208/msg05395.html
2. http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200208/msg05465.html

> Debian Woody with 2.4.18bf2.4 kernel
> Soundblaster Live! soundcard

The Live! uses the emu10k1 driver.  Not the sb driver.  A pitfall.

In my earlier note I wrote:
> The program you want is 'modconf'.
>
>   su root
>   modconf
>
> Then select the sound driver for your card.  Which one?  You need to
> know which card you have.  'lspci' will tell you what is on your
> system.  Also 'less /proc/pci' will be similar.  Searching with google
> will usually turn up the right driver name for your hardware.  If you
> have trouble, post your hardware to the list and ask for help.
> [...]
> On a Creative Labs Live! PCI card on many systems.
>
>   emu10k1 -- Creative Labs SB Live!

You will need to select the emu10k1 subdirectory, which only contains
a single emu10k1 entry.  Select that and have modconf configure your
system to load it.  That should be all there is to it.

Then sit back and play some mp3s.  Oh, no not those Evil(TM) mp3s
which are patent encumbered and possibly require an expensive license.
Retake.  Play some er, uh, Ogg Vorbis files!

Bob