Re: understanding apt-proxy

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 02:17:22PM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
> I had read all of these except the import but I had done the import.
> Often enough I find Linux documentations skips over or assumes
> understanding that I don't have yet.  Not that I don't appreciate all
> that has been done.

I would happily accept worked-over documentation for anything I maintain -
knowing a program inside-out does not help in writing documentation - I
don't always see the problems you do.

> In this case I may be closer than I think.  For security I have:
>
> add_backend /security/                                  \
>        $APT_PROXY_CACHE/security/       \
>        security.debian.org::debian-security/     \
>        non-us.debian.org::debian-security/
>
> and from the client I get:
>
> Failed to fetch
> http://joy:9999/security.debian.org/dists/testing/updates/main/binary-i386/Packages
> 404 is not serviced by this server

The backend name and address you give in sources.list need to match.

In this case, you specified 'security' as backend name and
'security.debian.org' in sources.list.  I quote from the apt-proxy.conf that
I suggested you look at:

# Debian security
#deb http://APTPROXY:9999/security stable/updates main contrib non-free

(well, you need to change 'stable' to 'testing' and set your apt-proxy
host name, but otherwise it is correct for you.)

Hope that helps,
Chris