Re: safe emergency shutdown?

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 14:25:24 -0400
Peter Christensen <christenpet@snip.net> wrote:

> I'm fairly new to Debian and Linux, so this may have the most obvious
> answer, but here's what happened:
>
> I added an application to the panel in kde (I think that's what it's
> called; it's the strip along the bottom where you can click to
> activate the console, help, etc.)  This worked OK, but the new icon
> was hidden behind the scroll arrows on the right side, so I tried
> moving it to the left.  At that point nothing worked again on the
> panel.  I was able to get to the console by doing an alt-F1 (I think)
> and then shut down the system safely.  But this morning I tried to
> remove the new icon from the panel.  And again, the panel froze, so I
> couldn't start any applications.  Also, the keyboard was dead.  Alt-Fn
>
> didn't work, ctrl-alt-del did nothing, and even when I hit the
> caps-lock the caps-lock light didn't go on.  The mouse still worked,
> but I couldn't start any applications.  So I ended up turning the
> power off.
>
> I understand that bad things can happen if you just turn off the power
> while Linux is running.  But it seemed that I had no alternative.  Any
> idea what happened here, and what I should have done to get out of it?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter Christensen

I've found that 9 out of 10 times a Linux system appears locked, you can
still login over a network connection. Since I have a lan here at my
house anyway, I always have ssh running as a daemon in the background
and it provides a handy way to login as root and kill the frozen
processes, or in a worst case scenario tell it to reboot.

HTH,
Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024/16377135

In a world without fences, who needs Gates?
http://www.linux.org/