Re: XMMS and the new MP3 patent terms

MKolb@haitec.de writes:

> On 29.08.2002 11:25:11 MKolb wrote:
> And now a statement:
>
> "Statement from Thomson Multimedia, mp3 Licensing
>
> In a posting appearing Tuesday August 27, 2002 on the Web site
> 'slashdot.org', an individual cited a change in the mp3 license fee
> structure of Thomson and Fraunhofer. The writer of the post apparently
> misread the mp3 licensing conditions, as Thomson's mp3 licensing policy
> has not experienced any change.

[snip]

Maybe this is a dumb question, but:

The mp3 licensing web page explicitly states the $.75 per decoder fee
for software decoders distinct from hardware decoders. So, I don't get
it. Are they just saying that they choose not to seek a fee for free
software decoders, at the moment? Or does the word "royalty" imply
that the product is sold?