Re: 'route add default gw' returns SIOCADDRT:Network is unreachable

"Baris Y." <barisy@media.mit.edu> writes:
> but I can ping the gateway. ACtually i can make any type of
> connections with any computer on my network.

You generally shouldn't need to do a 'route add default' by hand; it
should be sufficient to put a 'gateway' line in
/etc/network/interfaces.  See interfaces(5) for details.

> But when i try to ping a host outside, i get the same 'network
> unreachable' error.

This makes sense, since there's no route outside of the local network.

What exactly are you typing?  What's your local network configuration
like?

> i have recently compiled my kernel to 2.4.18...

(And did you have this problem before?)

	-- Abra Mitchell