Re: Debian and IDE RAID?

On Wed, 2002-08-28 at 01:06, Tony Wasson wrote:

[RAID]

> As a side note, I have heard the recommendation that instead of RAID-1,
> simply backup the primary drive to the backup on a regular basis, and you
> will avoid many hassles when deleting a critical file. I see this as a

Just my $.02 (actually CHF.05)

RAID and backup are somewhat orthogonal.

RAID protects from drive failure ONLY, allowing continuing service when
a drive fails, and very short (or no) downtime after drive replacement.

Backups protect from external errors, mainly. Of course, a regular full
backup will restore the system on a clean drive with only a few hours
data lost, but this involves substantial downtime. Especially when only
doing incremental backups, it involves restoring 2 or 3 backup sets. I
guess 80% or more of restore operations from backup are done because of
user errors, restoring just a few files from a recent backup.

AND: RAID does not protect from attacks or your kernel going crazy. So
most people concerned enough to use a RAID will want to do backups, too.

(Of course, people doing striping or RAID-5 for performance reason on
easily recovered data - such as news spools or so - are a special case).

I recommend to do regular backups (daily!), and RAID only if high
availability is really critical, or if single disks are too small. To
avoid having to manage tapes, I usually do backups on a 2nd disk
(normally not mounted) - while not as secure as an offline (or even off
site) backup, it's just much more convenient than always remembering to
change tapes/CDs/whatever.

If it is possible I also use cvs, even for very small things. This is
also a form of backup (as long as the cvsroot is safe), especially
regarding stupid file deleting.

cheers
-- vbi

--
secure email with gpg                        http://fortytwo.ch/gpg

NOTICE: keyserver.kjsl.com is known to carry a valid copy of my key