Re: XMMS and the new MP3 patent terms

On  0, Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> wrote:

> Please don't top post.
> You sent a private reply in public interest.  Thrown back on list.
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 12:27:35AM -0500, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:
> > Yeah. let's download software from china... :P
>
> You already can get Debian from a Chinese mirror.
> ftp://www2.linuxforum.net/pub1/debian/
> http://www2.linuxforum.net/ftp/pub1/debian/
>
> Where's the problem?  China doesn't honor western software patents or
> copyright, it's the perfect place to put it to avoid complications of
> software patents.  debian-non-stupid.

;-)

Seriously, folks, as someone (maybe even Paul) has pointed out, you
don't see Adobe Photoshop in non-free, so if someone owns a legitimate
patent on MP3 then that probably doesn't belong in non-free, either.
If the patent is legit, then maybe we should either pay for its use or
not use it.

I am still to be convinced that it is legit, but there you go.

Tom
--
Tom Cook

When you go to the sysadmin's office in the afternoon, and all is deathly quiet, there are three possibilities:
1) Something has gone wrong, and they are all trying to fix it.
2) Something has gone badly wrong, and they have all left the country.
3) Something has gone very badly wrong, and you're missing happy hour.

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au