Re: dselect ignorance

Thomas H. George,,, wrote:

> I don't understand dselect.  I have checked my O'Reilly Debian book and
> the lists of HOWTO's and am no wiser.  If I have missed a source of
> basic information, please point me at it.
>
> Otherwise, my question is this: If I find an xxx.deb package at some
> site other than the debian stable distribution and wish to use it how
> should I proceed?  Download it?  Put it where?  Simply run dpkg install
> xxx.deb?  Edit sources.list and use apt-get install xxx.deb?  Or is
> dselect the preferred method to best manage dependencies?  If dselect is
> best, do I somehow bypass the many location questions?

It depends.

If the site in question is set up as a proper Debian repository, then
you can, if you like, add them to your sources.list and let dselect or
apt fetch the packages. Or you can just download the .debs you want and
install them with "dpkg -i file1.deb file2.deb ... fileN.deb".

If the site is not set up as a repository, then dselect/apt won't work,
and you have no choice but to download the files by hand and install
them with "dpkg -i".

Personally, I would only add a site to sources.list if I wanted to
automatically keep up to date with their packages over time.

Craig