SSL virtualhosting with apache-ssl w/multiple certs

I thought this was possible, maybe it's not though.

I have a few SSL sites running as virtual hosts on my
system, and I want to stick to using only 1 of my available
IP addresses for them.

The issue is apache-ssl seems to use only the first cert it
finds, when I load it, it says it is loading the different
certs but when I access the different sites they are all using
the same cert.

I would like to have more proper certificates by having the
hostname for each site in it's own cert, but to avoid too
many SSL complaints from the browsers I'm forced to use
"*" as the hostname, that way all the hosts work without
complaint.

Is doing the above possible without using seperate IPs
for each site, or even seperate ports for each server?

thanks!

nate