Re: .deb packager?

Per Amundsen <korn@jubii.dk> writes:
> Okay, because there are some programs that really needs to be updated more
> often, and after reading the package howto, I figured out it wasn't that
> hard to make new packages at all.

What release of Debian are you running?  If your /etc/apt/sources.list
points to "stable" (or perhaps "potato" or "woody"), you're getting
something that intentionally only changes for security updates.
Brand-spanking-new packages go into "unstable"; after generally a week
and a half, if no serious bugs have cropped up, they move into
"testing".

If you really want something newer than what's in stable, you can use
APT "pins" to have a mostly-stable system with a few packages out of
testing.  See apt_preferences(5), and look through the debian-user
archives.  You also might check on http://packages.debian.org/ to see
whether a newer package exists without downloading the entire Packages
file.

If you want to track unstable or testing, you should almost definitely
subscribe to the debian-devel-announce list.  If you're following
unstable, being on the (high-traffic) debian-devel list is also a good
idea; much of the traffic there is somewhat technical discussion of
the breakage-of-the-week.  If you're following either, you should be
able to submit bugs (see http://bugs.debian.org/); if you're following
unstable, you almost certainly want to be able to fix arbitrary
possibly bad breakage in your system.

	-- Abra Mitchell