Re: Apt-get behaving badly

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 03:16:41PM -0400, Steve Dondley wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > Also make sure you've run mkswap on the device you're trying to use as a
> > swap device.
>
> Aha!  Problem solved!

Cool.

> You see, my old swap partition was on hda5 and changing it to hda2 screwed
> everything up.  Now I just need to find where in the system init process the
> swap drive is turned on and then I should be good to go.

/etc/rcS.d/S10checkroot.sh or /etc/rcS.d/S35mountall.sh, depending on
various things.

> Phew!  Does everyone learn Linux this way---by screwing something up and
> then flailing around for a couple of hours before you learn how to fix it?

You have uncovered our secret. :) My first Linux installation was,
kindly put, a pigsty by the time I was finished with it; then I switched
to Debian ...

The goal is of course to have enough documentation and clear interfaces
that this becomes less necessary. Things are considerably better even
now than when I started in 1998 or so.

Cheers,