Re: Debian vs Gentoo

I've used both. And here are my impressions:

Debian is far easier to setup. However, Gentoo has good installation
documentation that is easily followed. I got it installed the first go.

One downside to Gentoo is that you really need a fast Internet connection for
installation. I did mine thru dial-up modem, and it was painfully slow... but
it was fun.

Both are easy to upgrade as they have great software management systems.

Gentoo is *the* distro for hobbyist and Linux enthusiast who have *lots* of
free time and *love* to tinker with things (if you want to compile the
compiler, then go play with Gentoo).

Debian is much more conservative and stable. It's a professional Linux distro
that IMO is unmatched when it comes to the server room.

Both have their place.