New user question

Hello, I'm pretty new to Linux.  I have Lycoris on a second machine with KDE
2.2.2, but it's just too hard to install software, for me anyway, at this
juncture in history.  I am getting ready to install Debian 3.0.   Simple
question then:  for a default desktop, what are the differences between KDE
and Gnome?  Is KDE more widely supported?  What about resource usage?  The
machine I'm installing on later today is:

Athlon 500
128mb ram installed
ATI Radeon 32ddr
20 gig hd
Soundblaster live
Realtek Accton NIC (I think)
Cable modem

Any suggestions appreciated.  (simple, I know, but we all have start
somewhere :)

John