Re: promise ata-66

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 01:45:32AM -0700, Noah Sombrero wrote:
> Hi, Debians,
>
> I post a question once in a while in here, and usually don't get
> useful answers, mainly because there is no way to know what
> is going on with my system from someplace else.  I do get
> asked to let people know if I find a problem and get a solution,
> so here is one.
>
> Trying to install woody from the download floppys on the
> debain website.  I have a system that uses a promise ata-66
> card, which means that potato needs a special kernel to
> boot.  The potato kernel boots fine if I use the special kernel.
> The rescue disk for woody says it is booting with 2.2.20 which
> is a potato kernel.  It is not the version that supports the
> promise cards though.  So the woody rescue disk will not
> recognize my hd attached to the promise card.  I thought,
> I already have a potato 2.2.20 kernel on my hard drive, I
> will just copy that to the rescue disk, naming it correctly, of
> course, and I will be able to get into the woody installation
> process with all my hard drives.  And, sure enough, it works.
> But I still don't have a functioning 2.4 kernel.  The woody
> installation process copied another copy of 2.2.20 into my
> /boot directory.  The system does identify itself as
> linux 3 though.
>
> Come on guys.  Don't make this so hard.  How can I get
> a real 2.4 kernel that works?  Yes, I know, use dselect.
> Did that and have discussed with you how it looks to
> me like the kernel is not recognizing my promise card
> no matter how I do it, including roll your own.  No solution.

Hmm, just did a little digging around the boot floppies areas.  Check
out the dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/bf2.4
directory.  It has a boot floppy that uses a 2.4 kernel image.  As the
README says:

"It contains support for some new hardware
parts which does not exist in the (more stable) other flavors. It
supports more USB hardware, modern IDE controllers, newer network cards
and Ext3 and Reiser filesystems."

This will probably do what you want.  If you need to further customise
after install, you can install the kernel-image-2.4.x package, or build
your own.

- Chris