Re: 8139too driver just didn't work

    "Michael" == Michael James <mcjames@optonline.com> writes:

    Michael> ok ... maybe, there just is a problem I think .. I
    Michael> installed RH 7.2, and it finds the NIC fine, 8139too.  I
    Michael> try the bootstrap install .. it all goes well, I reboot
    Michael> to the Debian install .. all seems fine, except no
    Michael> network. I build a couple kernels .. 8139too as a module,
    Michael> in the kernel .. nothing works. The best I get is with a
    Michael> module, running modprobe will put a line in dmesg ... it
    Michael> seems to be ok ... next step, get eth0 set up .. I check
    Michael> /etc/network/interfaces .. it is set for inet dhcp
    Michael> .. running pump, ifconfig eth0 up .. all give various
    Michael> errors, no device found, operation failed (pump) ..

Michael,

What's the RH 7.2 Kernel? What's the Woody kernel? Which "couple of
kernels"?

What does lspci show for the Realtek card on RH?

What does lspci show for the Realtek card on Debian?

What *exactly* is the error on Debian?

What does dmesg say about eth0 on Debian? On RH7.2?

What exactly do you have in /etc/network/interfaces for eth0?

Give us some solid information to work with if you want help!

    Michael> Did I miss something ... I found a couple notes about a
    Michael> fix for the driver, replace a couple hex values with
    Michael> PCI_ANY_SOMETHING .. try that, rebuild .. no change ..

    Michael> I have kinda given up on Debian for this box .. I
    Michael> installed blackbox already .. I miss apt-get .. but maybe
    Michael> I should have at least one RH box ...

Perhaps.

Cheers!
Shyamal