Re: Debian net install and missing packages?

Nile Gomez <nilegomez@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi! I'm totally new to Debian (just successfully installed
3.0 two days ago). I did a net install and was wondering:
Were all packages installed at that time or do I still have
to go and download more things?

The reason I ask is this: My sound doesn't work, and I
noticed that my screensavers don't work either.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. I've looked
around the Debian site, but haven't been able to find
anything that answered my questions.

Nile

Hi Nile!  Congrats on the sucessful install!

The sound problem is probably just a config problem with whatever sound card /sound chipset you have. Sound is not setup automatically during install and requires some "fiddling" to get going in most cases. The main problem is getting the proper sound system "driver" modules loaded, and this is highly dependent on which sound sub-system you are trying to use (kernel OSS drivers, Commercial OSS drivers or ALSA), and which chipset you have. If you tell us the sound card you have, maybe we can point you in the right direction. There is some good info in the HOWTOs at the Linux Documentation Project that I found useful when starting.

Screen savers are slightly more problematic. Not knowing exactly what you have installed right now, I am just guessing here, BUT if you are running either the KDE or GNOME desktops, then again it is a config problem. You should explore the "help" systems in either to find out how to turn on the built-in screen savers. If none of these suit you, you can get other themes and/or screensavers that were probably not installed initially. They are available via apt-get or dselect.

A little more info about what you have would be quite helpful. I can say with almost 100% certainty that you don't have ALL the available packages. I run a moderately well-configured desktop system here. The last time I looked, I had only about 1000 packages out of over 10,000 available! Certain packages I just can't use! For example, I don't have the kanji character set installed since my native language is english. Additionally, a lot of the availble packages are drop-in replacements for other packages that offer a different set of features that might appeal to different people. You most certainly have the common "basics" installed plus what ever "extras" you selected during your install. You can alway add a missing package via apt-get in the future.

Welcome to Debian!

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-