Re: Apache vs Apache-SSL

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 10:01:27 -0400
"David HM Spector" <spector@dropzonenetworks.com> wrote:

> Installing mod-ssl doesn't seem to modify or generate any of the
> other includes into
> httpd.conf.  Apache-ssl does the "right thing" but then creates a
> whole new directory structure
> for a whole other apache binary (apache-ssl).
>
> There seems to be some unpredictability in what the network install
> actually installs
> when you ask it to install a web server... what I am trying to
> determine is exactly what packages (or tasks)
> need to be installed to get the consolidated apache package that
> includes an ssl-enabled apache server that
> doesn't insist on a separate tree for the ssl version of the server...

OK, you're right.. mod_ssl doesn't do a lot of configuring for you. See
the libapache-mod-ssl-doc package for some example .conf-files.

I think the the easiest thing to do, is to install apache +
libapache-mod-ssl and configure it you're self, either way you'll have
to do some tweaking. It seems a little odd to have two apache's and as
you say some other packages may give problems...

grts Tim