Problem with video capture

I'm having trouble when I try to capture video on my Hauppage card. The
video can't seem to capture more than 15 fps and there is no sound. Has
anyone had problems like this? The command is just:
streamer -t 0:05 -o movie.avi -F stereo
(streamer is distributed with xawtv.)

The output from that command is a small, 10fps movie with no sound.
Here's my hardware:
Brooktree bt878 capture card (Hauppage WinTV 401)
Sound Blaster Live Value (emu10k1 chip)
CPU: 2xP3/667
HD: ATA/66 7200rpm seagate.
modules loaded:
tvmixer
btaudio
emu10k1
ac97_codec
tuner
tvaudio
msp3400
bttv
i2c-algo-bit
Note: tvmixer and btaudio aren't loaded by default; I tried loading them
when there was no sound.

Xawtv and streamer are both version 3.74, debs built by me. The version
in unstable, 3.72, didn't have sound either.

Any help is much appreciated. There was a Slashdot article today which
really grates because this isn't working for me.
--
Nick