Re: StarOffice OpenOffice in a .deb ?

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 03:02:54PM -0400, David Teague wrote:
> When answering, please CC: teague@jackson.main.nc.us
>
> I want to down load the OpenOffice .deb file.
>
> Paul Condon gives the URL
>
> http://openoffice.vpn-junkies.de/openoffice/pool/contrib/openoffice.org/

Please see
http://www.linux-debian.de/openoffice/mirrors.html

for a list of lines for sources.list, so you can use apt-get.

> There I find MANY openoffice deb packages. Do I get the most recent?

There are two sources available - a slower, known not to introduce any new
bugs version ('testing', currently at 1.0.0-6), and one where we upload to
initially ('unstable', currently at 1.0.1-3 for binaries and -1 for language
packs).

> I run Woody with a 2.4 kernel. I have jdk1.2.2 installed. Is this sufficient?

The packages are compiled on an unstable system, so you need a newer version
of libgcc1 than in Woody, which is also available on our mirrors and will be
automatically installed unless you are using certain pinning configurations.
I plan to make packages compiled on a Woody system at some time in the
future.

We have disabled Java support currently because of the use of non-free Java APIs.

Chris