Re: [DEB-USER] Re: [DEB-USER] todo list manager sought

On Sun, Jul 28, 2002 at 09:22:07PM -0500, Richard Cobbe wrote:

> Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> writes:
>
> > I use hnb (hierarchical notebook). It is a full screen curses app that
> > allows you to nest tasks (or data or whatever). Very simple one-key
> > interface.
>
> I just installed hnb 1.8.1 and fired it up to play with it.  Works nicely
> under the console, but can't handle the non-alphabetic keys very well in an
> xterm.
>
> So, for instance, under the console (TERM=linux), I hit INS to add a new
> item, and it immediately drops me into the item editor, where I can specify
> the text for the newly-created item.  So far so good.  In an xterm, though
> (TERM=xterm), hitting INS creates the new item but adds the characters `2z'
> to the beginning of its text automatically.
>
> Is this a bug in hnb, or in my setup?

Hmm. I don't see that behavior in my setup, which is stock Debian 3.0,
USA locale. However, you can change the keybindings with:

hnb .hnbrc

It's not well documented, but under the key you wish to change, you must
supply the proper numeric value. I've never tried this under an X
environment, but have done so in the console, where showkey -m will tell
you the numeric value of keys you press.

I should say that I've looked at the code for hnb, and the author uses
the curses library to deal with keys and screen tasks. So for instance,
when you press <INS>, the program responds based on whatever curses
thinks that means. Hnb itself doesn't really know what key you pressed.
It asks the curses library to translate it. This can be a problem when
running in X.

<rant>

It escapes me why the designers of the console and the designers of X
chose to emulate two different types of terminals. It causes no end of
compatibility problems with apps you run in both. And it seems like it
would be a simple thing to change.

</rant>

Paul