Re: ls'ing dirs before files

also sprach Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> [2002.07.28.0348 +0200]:
> Try setting LC_ALL=POSIX for a test and you will see the standard
> behavior.  For a test you don't have to do it permanently, just for
> that one command.
>
>   LC_ALL=POSIX ls -a

Right, this now correctly separates dot-files and nondot-files, but
directories and files are still interspersed. Same with setting
LC_COLLATE to "C" (or LC_ALL).

> Those command just call strcoll(3) for the comparision.  So actually
> the commands themselves have nothing to do with sort order
> localization beyond that.  It all falls into the libc strcoll()
> routine.  So in the end it is in the hands of libc.  Read this section
> of the documentation on locales.

But these sorts happen on the name part of the inode, I would like
these to first separate into dirs and files, then sort within...

"i'm always frank and earnest with women.
 uh, in new york i'm frank, and in chicago i'm ernest."
                                            -- the long kiss goodnight